Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Talking Snakes and The Crazies


I had a dream... or I should definitely say I had a nightmare. I decided, in my infinite wisdom, to watch the movie The Crazies the other night. Knowing myself as a nightmare victim, especially after watching scary-ass movies, I should have refrained from this form of cheap entertainment, but, as always, my curiosity got the best of me. It took about two nights, but this horrific movie manifested itself in my dreamscape.

It begins with the distorted, abstract version of Sally, and I walking through a curious house. This house has several rooms, each of which is dimly lit, a suffocating shade of green, and has stairs within, leading to loft areas. As we are climbing one of these sets of stairs, I happen to look towards the door, just to see one of those demented crazy people staring at me with burning eyes; eyes that are intent on killing. He just stands there, dead still, staring, relishing the thought of a victim. I begin to scramble up the stairs, but as in all my dreams, quickly begin to stumble and am unable to move any faster than the speed of cold molasses. I am terrified, probably thrashing around in my bed, not that I know this, and can feel and hear my heart pounding. As soon as I reach the top the room transforms into a rocky, cactus-infested hillside; one that you would see in the breaks. Sally and I are barefoot, so the going is rough, but at least the crazy person is gone right? Wrong. The murderous wretch has actually transformed into a snake and is curled up in a cave, sleeping. As quietly as we can, we sneak down the hillside, avoiding the cave and the countless cactus plants. This is not enough, though. As soon as I take a step, the rocks begin to slide, rumbling the hillside, waking up the snake. He hisses his murderous decree, flying towards us with astonishing speed, those same burning eyes boring into me. Once again, terrified, I try to run away; all in vain. I am struck in the leg and I watch as my sister is killed (sparagmos). It is graphic, terrifying and somewhat scarring. I, of course, wake up before the venom sets in and actually kills me. This dream is a pretty basic paradigm for what happens to my dream land after watching scary movies. Maybe someday I will learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment