Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Cop Outs

It seems that between Bible as Lit. and Mythologies, I can definitely identify one constant: the use of cop outs. Although Frazer is obviously not enthusiastic about the practical merits of magic, I find this line hysterical and very representative of the culture that used Sympathetic Magic: "In order that blood may not be on your head, you should say: 'It is not I who am burying him, It is Gabriel who is burying him.' Thus the guilt of the murder will be laid on the shoulders of the archangel Gabriel..." (Frazer 15). In reference to the use of voodoo dolls, this line is a screamingly obvious copout which makes me cringe and laugh simultaneously. I mean really? Who in their right mind can justify the burial of a likeness of a fellow man, with the full intent of killing him, then, by saying a few forgiving words, expect to not be held responsible if their little charm has its desired effect? That, I beleive, is the height of immorality and the perfect paradigm for the ever-popular copout.

No comments:

Post a Comment