Monday, December 6, 2010

Mythological Happenings

So I went to a wedding this weekend. Interesting. I know this is a pretty basic observance but haven't people always married, in some sense, eaten food in celebration, then drank copious amounts of alcohol in accompaniment to dancing and general merriment? I know for sure that the dancing portion is very traditional, especially the ceremonial dancing (dollar dance, bride and her father dance, bride and groom, the hoky poky). People have danced around in circles in celebration of a wedded couple since the beginning and I think it's really telling that this is something people still do. I mean, it is a really good time. Actually, now that I think about it, the key traditions that have hung around are the ones that are really, really fun. Examples: weddings, dancing, telling stories, banquets, bonfires, baby showers, etc. I digress, there are some traditions that have withheld that are perhaps less fun, but several happenings from in illo tempore that are still being practiced are a seriously good time. There is definitely a reason for this just as there is a reason for people not sacrificially slaughtering animals anymore. Some things are just easier to keep around than others. I don't know about you, but I definitely don't find it difficult to celebrate a friend's wedding while drinking free alcohol and dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment